Something that has been part of my daily routine for about a year now is drinking warm lemon water. Starting the day off with a glass of this has made a huge difference for me. First, it helps waking up your digestive system as well as getting it ready for the day. Secondly, I found that focusing on morning rituals and trying to stick to some kind of routine works as a great jump-start for the day, helps to align my body with the nature’s rhythms and brings a little regularity and self-discipline, which is quite reassuring!
I guess there’s nothing simpler than preparing a lemon water. What you have to do is simply juicing half a lemon into a glass of warm tap water (about 250 ml) and sipping it directly for a healthy morning kick. Wait for about half an hour before eating your breakfast (for the lemon juice in your belly will help your body absorb the nutrients better). If you’d like to add some more goodness to your water, here are a few ideas with their benefits:
- Ginger – It will help when trying to weight loss, only if a healthy diet and regular sweaty activity are involved; it is also great for boosting the immune system when ill or during the flu season.
- Cinnamon – This is a magical spice, improving digestion and helping to regulate the insulin’s production; it may also improve the assimilation of your food’s nutrients, which help making you feel full longer and thus, avoiding these hunger pangs.
- Honey – A natural and incredible sweetener, it will render your drink a little more soothing while providing a whole lot of vitamins, minerals and energy (since it can be used as an instant energy booster, thanks to its rapidly absorbed carbohydrates).
The benefits and various uses of lemon have been known for centuries now. And even though it is common to think that lemon’s antiviral, immune-boosting and antibacterial powers are about its only interesting benefits, there is way more to it! Containing citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, pectin and limonene, it can promote immunity, fight infection and…
Aids digestion and detoxification. Its atomic composition being similar to the digestive juices in the stomach, the liver will be tricked and therefore produce bile. It will help keep food moving though the body as well as flushing out unwanted materials and toxins. The acid found in lemon juice will slow down your body’s nutrient’s absorption, which means that you’ll get more nutrients out of the food you consume.
Boost your immune system. Thanks to their vitamin C superpowers, lemons are essential for the body, which do not produce it’s own vitamin C. This vitamin also demonstrates anti-inflammatory effects and enhances iron absorption, which is a core component of one’s health. Brain and nerve functions are stimulated as well, for it contains a whole lot of potassium. The juice also stimulates white blood cell production, which is vital for the immune system to work properly. It protects cells from oxidative damage and what you now know as a cold or flu will belong to the past.
Works as a fountain of youth and as a body elixir. The antioxidants found in vitamin C fight damages caused by free radicals, which will ensure you a healthy and glowing skin. Its alkaline nature kills some type of bacteria that are causing acne issues. Lemon juice will also rejuvenate your skin from the inside out. Finally, your body will keep producing collagen, essential in smoothing our faces and keep these wrinkles away! Ascorbic acid is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, tissues and cartilage as well as in recovering from stress and injuries.
Wipes away unwanted pounds and says “Hello” to your dream body. Lemon contains pectin, a common type of fruit fibre, which help feeling full longer; this means one will have less hunger cravings and eat less throughout the day. It also helps feeling hydrated and happy; one will suffer from less headaches or fatigue, escape from an overall bad mood which could lead to binge eating!
Energy and Mood booster. Instead of a morning coffee, try a morning lemon water ; it will boost your energy levels while being totally caffeine free; you’ll see that you’ll be tip-toeing and dancing like fairies in your house within seconds!
To finish off on a more realistic note (because, you know, and I do admit it, not everything may be cured with lemon water), here are a few things that this concoction will not do:
- It will not alkalize your body – so even though food leaves an “ash” in our system that influences the pH of our body (according to the alkaline diet), our blood or cells’ pH cannot be altered by lemon water.
- It will not fight cancer – some people say that cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment, but some studies prove them wrong; furthermore, cancer cells create their own acidic environment, which cannot be stopped by eating alkalizing food.
- It will not raise you IQ – drinking water my help you being more focused and aware throughout the day, but it will certainly not increase your intelligence…believe me, I tried!